Fishing with the Greater Bulldog Bat

Time to share another snippet from my upcoming release, 60 Beautiful Bat Facts, for the weekly WeWriWa blog hop. If you’re a writer and want a chance to share 8-10 sentence snippets of your manuscript, feel free to join in next weeks hop. Published and unpublished pieces are loved.

I thought about sharing some of the various ways bats were used to help attract love, but in the end, I decided to do something different.

When it comes to bats, 70% of the species are insectivores and the remaining 30% are pollen/fruit bats. However, there are some species that refuse to follow the rules. The greater bulldog bat is definitely a rule breaker. They prefer fishing to chasing mosquitoes, and they’re incredibly efficient.

As greater bulldog bats fly across the dark water, they push echolocation pulses downward, the echo allows them to identify which water ripples are caused by bugs, wind, fish that are too large for the bat to handle, and fish that are exactly what the bat is looking for.

When the bat identifies its dinner, it descends rapidly, it’s dive bears a remarkable resemblance to the form eagles and osprey take when they hunt larger fish. For their part, the fish doesn’t know a bat is near, until the sharp, powerful claws close around it’s body and it’s dragged from the water. As it ascends, the bat clutches the fish tightly in its hind claws and sweeps tail forward, using the membrane as a net and pushes its prize to it’s mouth. Sometimes the bats dine while in flight, and at other times they find a safe perch and settle into enjoy a leisurely fish dinner.

A single greater bulldog bat catches anywhere from 30-40 fish each night. The largest fish they catch are 10 centimeters long. While fish are the greater bulldog bats preferred food, when it’s having a difficult night finding enough to eat, it turns to other food sources, including:

  • Shrimp
  • Water insects
  • Scorpions
  • Crabs

Although they prefer to stay above the water, if something happens and the bat ends up in the water, they’re able to swim. They can also take flight while in the water.

large
A great shot of the Greater Bulldog Bat’s powerful hind legs and feet

Every time I read up on the greater bulldog bats, I can’t help thinking that they would be great in a middle grade adventure story.

 

Thanks for stopping by to read this week’s offering.

 

 

 

 

19 thoughts on “Fishing with the Greater Bulldog Bat

Add yours

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: